Mission & The Need
Mission: To help women of limited means realize their unlimited ability to change their lives.
The Need: WEP participants come from families who live on less than $1-2 a day, and homes where malnourishment, illness and debt are the norm. Their families are unable to provide the resources or support required to pursue higher education – (tenth grade through college).
Why do girls drop out of school?
- lack of funds for tuition, coaching, exam fees and uniforms
- colleges are far away
- exam failure
- marriage pressure (before age 18)
- decision making ability in their family
- have no aspirations
Educated women are more likely to:
- be healthier
- access employment with the opportunities for advancement
- travel independently
- participate in community decisions
- marry after the age of 21
- have fewer and healthier children
- better manage family finances and spend income on medicine, immunizations, nutritious food and education